A petitioner has asked the apex court to strike down the Information Technology (Preservation and Retention of Information by Intermediaries Providing Digital Locker Facilities) Rules 2016 because DigiLocker does not provide a nomination facility under this rule.
About Digital Locker:
- DigiLocker is the Indian Government’s flagship program under the Digital India.
- It is aimed at transforming India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy.
- It is a platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates in a digital way, thus
- eliminating the use of physical documents.
- It ties into Digital India’s visions areas of providing citizens a shareable private space on a public cloud and making all documents or certificates available on this cloud.
Benefits of Digital locker:
- Citizens can access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online. This is convenient and time saving.
- It reduces the administrative overhead of Government departments by minimizing the use of paper.
- Digital Locker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered issuers.